About the Methodist Church
Here's a crash course in understanding where we fit into the huge Methodist family in SA:
Umhlali is one of fifteen societies (congregations) in the The Lower Tugela Circuit. We work together with other societies as far south as Tongaat, right up to Darnall and uThukela in the north and inland as far as Maphumulo. Our circuit is part of the Natal Coastal District which extends from Amanzimtoti in the south, right up to the Mozambique border. The MCSA (Methodist Church of Southern Africa) covers the whole of South Africa, as well as Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana, Mozambique and Swaziland.
Methodists have been in Umhlali since the 1870's. Our marriage register records the first wedding in the 'Umhlali Chapel' in 1875 between Gemima Burne (whom we presume has ties with the farm Burnedale neighbouring our property) and Thomas Fayle (whose family has a street named after them in Salt Rock). Our current building was only dedicated some 50 years later, in 1924.